I Got It! Did You?

by on October 14, 2010

Est logo I Got It! Did You?

Est-I Got It

While Fall de-cluttering, I happened upon my old est notebooks. I’m not a saver and could not believe the notebook had made the “move cut” over the years. I also wondered why I didn’t remember this box of old est musings. Odd.

“I Got It” in 1980, in a Hilton ballroom in Houston, Texas, where I took the Erhard Seminars Training, or as some of you may know it, EST – Latin for “it is.”

For those of you who have never heard of est, maybe you have seen the movie  “Semi-Tough,” a 70s Burt Reynolds film that contained a parody of Werner Erhard and the est training, (the original, two-weekend crash course of the Human Potential Movement). “Freidrich Bismarck,” the film’s Erhard look-alike, tosses off remarks like, “There are no answers, because there are no questions,” and graduates of the “BEAT” training are quick to assure their friends that they are “perfect just the way they are.” When Burt “gets it,” he reassures Jill Clayburgh, who isn’t at all sure if she got it, that is certain evidence that she did. Get it, that is.

As I wandered through my est notebooks, I reflected on what I had gotten from the est training and if I still had it…

Perhaps the most essential catch-phrase of the est training was, “What is, is; and what isn’t, isn’t.”  In this moment of now, all is exactly as it is, and as it isn’t, and it can be no other way. This is one definition of “perfect.”

An example is feeling sad over Joe’s death.

“Rocks are hard, water is wet, and you’re feeling sad.”  You don’t try to “get rid of” the sadness any more than you would attempt to change the nature of rocks. It is simply part of the “what is-ness” of the current moment of your experience. My reaction to it, trying to push it away, would root it more firmly in place.

“When you allow something to be,” Erhard used to say, “it will allow you to be.” And the flip side: “What you resist, persists.”

The purpose of the est training was to “transform your ability to experience living so that the problems or situations in life that you are trying to solve or are putting up with clear up just in the process of life itself.” What shifted was how I experienced things, not the things themselves. The est training presented the possibility that it is possible to experience life by engaging with it exactly as it is, unfiltered by our likes and dislikes, our preferences and aversions, our strongly held beliefs and opinions about how life should be.

As I closed up my “est box,” I realized I still “got” what I got years ago: that I have the power to transform the quality of what I’m experiencing, that life is neither fair nor unfair; life simply is. Showing up on time and keeping my word goes a long way towards improving the quality of my life and the lives around me. Woody Allen is right, “90% of life is showing up.”

Since est is all about sharing, (one unfortunate side effect of becoming an est graduate was sharing the est training with your friends until they were either ready to drive a stake through your heart or take the training) I will end my est reflections by sharing from a small book called, If God Had Meant Man to Fly, He would Have Given Him Wings. Or: Up to Your Ass in Aphorisms.  All of the saying are attributed to Werner Erhard.

The truth does not mean anything. It just is.

You don’t get to vote on the way it is.
You already did.

It’s much easier to ride the horse in the direction he’s going.

Life is a rip-off
when you expect to get what you want.

Life works
when you choose what you got.
Actually what you got is what you chose.
To move on, choose it.

If you’re not alright the way you are,
it takes a lot of effort to get better.
Realize you’re alright the way you are,
and you’ll get better naturally.

The essence of communication is intention.

What human potential movements have you participated in over the years? Did they make a difference in your life? Did you Get It? Do you still have it? What books have given you, “Aha experiences?”  Here is a link to view all the quotes from the  “Little Brown Book.”  Do you have a favorite quote  to share?

Glad you were in my Odd neighborhood. Feel free to hang around with us any time. Odd Loves Company and odd loves you and you and you!! I would love to hear from you in the comment section of this blog, or on Facebook or Twitter

Katybeth

{ 28 comments… read them below or add one }

Vince

I got it back in the 70′s and I agree est really did make a difference in my life. I have gone on to do other things but nothing that has stuck with me like est has….thank you for sharing. :-D

Katybeth Jensen

It really did stick didn’t it Vince…most things don’t but EST did.

Cheryl Collins

I took EST as I was having a brain MRI done yesterday was repeating “Be here Now”! Got IT, still HAVE IT and I would do it all over again in a New York minute for all I experienced, “learned”, participated in and all the WONDERFUL friends that are still in my life as a result. . . like YOU! And have done the pain visualzation numerous times of these last week: Locate the TRUE source of the pain, visualize the shape and the color then concentrate on breathing it away Swear to God it WORKS!

Katybeth Jensen

Odd Cheryl, I came back to share this post again with a friend..and I saw your comment…as you lay in Barnes Hospital struggling…EST was a trip and yes my friend, it does WORK!

Marcie Jensen

I got it, still have it. EST a once in a life time trip!
Marcie Jensen recently posted…Deer Antler Chews-Best Dogone Chew!My Profile

Katybeth Jensen

It was a long time ago…but yhea we are still “showing up.”

Janet

I had friends that did the training and your right they were relentless. I never did “get it” tho. I was pretty stubborn–years later I took the forum and have to admit it really did help me change my life. Best money I ever spent.

So true, Janet!!

Thanks for dropping by Odd!!

Cynthia

I took the Lifespring version of EST and yes, I still have it. I feel that it becomes cellular. Someday, in the not too distant future, they will probably discover a Lifespring/EST/Forum gene mutation. This gene will manifest as indivuals saying what they mean and meaning what they say. If you did not attend one of these trainings, it’s not too late…..The Forum is still going strong. Lifespring is the single most life-altering training I have taken. It shows up in my life multiple times daily.

Katybeth Jensen

I did not do Lifespring but had many friends who did and said the same thing…What I think, you get on a cellular level is you have a choice…and even when you forget…you don’t. Both a blessing and curse-at times.
Your right its not to late and I would recommend the Forum in a heartbeat.

Bill Kilburg

I got how great Werner was, and how great my est trainers were. I got in my training alot of self doubt, and uncertainty about what I was getting, and I made it mean something. Now I know it doesn’t mean anything , it just what is. So simple yet so elusive ,as far as my experience in doing est.

“It really is a function of epistomology” as Werner said to Michael Toms of New Dimensions radio. Knowing by adding Nothing to IT.

TY for this blog Katybeth, and you got a cool name.

Hi Bill,

It was confusing at times but we came out the other side with less than we went in with :-D and that seemed to be a good thing.

Thank you for dropping by Odd Bill! Hope to see you a again.

Mark Crorey

Hmmm,
Just re-read the Hunger Project Source document. I’m inspired again–I don’t know where my sense of makeing a difference went but it seemed to vanish for a couple of decades plus. Now, somehow, I am renewed. A world that works for everyone with no one and nothing left out?
Is that a notion only for people who had an experience with strawberries over a two weekend seminar?

It’s a good time to be renewed Mark! I think I chose chocolate :-D

Thanks for dropping by Odd! Stop by anytime you are in the neighborhood.

Linda

I not only “got it”, but now I am sharing “it” with my granddaughter.

Katybeth Jensen

Good for you! You are never to young to learn to show up!

Thanks for dropping by Odd!

Tina

I did the Forum in 2001 and I have a life today I would not have!! I feel whole and loved and most important – grateful to Werner Erhard for sharing his ‘genesis of identity’ and having us get, that it is all made up!! and I made it up!! :) Pretty funny!

jack davis

I’m jealous. I didn’t get it. I spent another 2 weekends helping out and still didn’t get it. My ex-wife did. I told everyone I did. But I didn’t. Oh, well. My AA sponsor told me to practice 3 things: if it’s not true, don’t say it; if it’s not yours, don’t take it; if it’s not right, don’t do it. This has served me better than anything from the training.

Katybeth Jensen

You got it—just not from est.

Thanks for dropping by Odd.

Kb

Sharon

I love how, when I meet another est grad, there is the mutual assumption of responsibility for the qualities of truth, love and acceptance between us. Glad I stumbled in. TY for making this space for everyone to renew the est experience–whatever that means to each of us.

Katybeth Jensen

Thanks for stopping by Sharon. I agree. Est stuck when so many things before and after didn’t!

Ravi

15 years since I did the Landmark Forum from New Delhi, India. Earlier this month, someone who’d done it 2 days back was very enthusiastically trying to “recruit” a guest in my presence, and struggling to explain it. I simply shared what I’d gotten out of it, and the entire experience came alive for me – its by far the most powerful and life-changing course I’ve ever done.

Katybeth Jensen

Wasn’t that always the best way to “enroll people.” and more importantly renew the experience for yourself. Once the enthusiasm wore off–I was much better at sharing the experience.

Thanks for dropping by Odd!!

Hal Amens

Did est in 1974 and participated off and on since then. Did the transition to The Forum. Continued to participate off and on. Bits of est are creeping back in but handled quite differently–more conducive to learning. The organization has done a great job of staying true to what worked and updating it as new studies solidified the basis for the work. It has served me well.

Katybeth Jensen

That is so good too know. My est experience is still one of the most powerful lasting things I have ever done. Thanks for stopping by Odd and sharing that the est experience lives on and is still flourishing!

David

Thank you for posting this! I “got it” in 1980, in Los Angeles. I also got a little brown pocket book of EST sayings that I loved, but somehow I lost that little book years ago. I’ve been looking for a collection of EST quotes and sayings, and those you provided above are great! Still, the best thing I “got” there was my wife, whom I met for the first time that first session, outside the meeting room door. We still celebrate that anniversary, some 30 years on!

Rick

Did the EST training in San Francisco in 1980 and followed up with a number of workshops. Did the Forum in 1988 and did workshops. As you probably know, EST became Landmark Education some time ago. If Werner Erhardt were still leading EST, I would probably be involved with one of his foundations or something. I am grateful for the difference that experience made on the quality of my life.

Michael Hanson Cantwell

I love est. I “got it” in 1979. I was doing yoga, meditation, studying books, searching for answers, and had a regular job. I was sick in bed for days and read “The Book of Est” by Luke Rhinehart. Thereafter, I’d had enough and gave up trying to find the answers. About 3 days later, it hit. I “got it.” It was the greatest experience of my life. It lasted for two weeks with three extraordinary days in the middle. I laughed my head off. Everything seemed a joke. And, I remember saying to myself, “I feel so good I could jump over a house.” About “games people play,” I could see and hear the games each person was playing. It was written all over their face and in their voice. I could read people. It was obvious, right there for me to observe. The lies they tell themselves. The way they hold themselves back with excuses, etc. The cages people put themselves in.
About 2 years ago, I went back through all my writings and redid everything that I was doing at that enlightenment time. For months, I tried to recreate the experience, doing Yoga and meditation, re-reading The Book of Est”, reading and listening to Werner & est, watching the Transformation movie and Werner Youtube videos, and also including just giving up. Zip…nothing! And, as Tony Robbins teaches, and Eckhart Tolle teaches, and Werner Erhard teaches, and others . . . it’s right here, “now!” I also emailed author Eliezer Sobel, who also tried to re-experience “getting it.”
Never, never, ever again have I even approached the experience of “getting it”, although I carry a little of it around with me all the time until get lost and forget to choose. LOL. And enlightenment, in a way, is something not to be sought after, and certainly not to be stuck in.
Any suggestions as to how to re-experience “I ‘got it!’”?