Odd Word Invitational! This is not the The Washington Post’s Mensa Invitational…but its close. Very, Very Close! (rumor has it that The Washington Post’s Word Mensa is just an Urban legend -we exist-they don’t.)
Don’t you think words are fun? I am not fond of punctuation, grammar, or spelling, but I love words! In fact, just last night, as I glanced over Cole’s vocabulary words, I asked myself, “Self, when was the last time you used the word ‘furtive’ (sly, sneaky, shifty)?” It has been a long time.
Here is a big surprise for you. Are you ready? I did not enter The Washington Post’s Mensa Invitational, which invited readers to take any word from the dictionary; alter it by adding, subtracting, or changing one letter; and supply a new definition. My invitation was late. Damn! The Post’s winning words are listed below. My favorite is “glibido”: all talk and no action.
Speaking of taking action, we will host our own contest because you are the oddest and smartest readers in the whole wide world. Odd is even international; we have one Australian reader (everyone say “Hi” to Antoinette).
The contest: Take any word from the dictionary; alter it by adding, subtracting, or changing one letter; and supply a new definition. Then enter your word into the comment section of Odd.
Rascal will draw the winners randomly. She might cheat but I will watch her closely during the drawing, which will take place when Rascal is in the right mood.
Prizes will come from my Woot prize stash. First Place: A Kodak EasyShare CD82 Digital Camera (includes a USB cable, wrist strap, and user guide, and is a (Certified Refurbished Product). Second Prize: The world’s best umbrella; handles wind, ice, hail, snow, and sometimes rain. Third Prize: A flying slingshot monkey wearing a WOOT cape.
Update: 1/26th–I just came up with my word. Naturally I won’t enter my word in the contest because I deemed myself ineligible to win. You have to stand for something or you will fall for anything. Yes, Of-course, My word. My word is CRAPMITMENT! A CRAPMITMENT is something you said yes to when you really should have said no. You love my word! I knew it! Feel free to use any time.
Some of these words came from The Washington Post-Style Invitational, See the current Washington Post Invitational — every Sunday.
1. Cashtration: The act of buying a house, which renders the subject financially impotent for an indefinite period of time
2. Ignoranus : A person who’s both stupid and an asshole.
3. Intaxicaton : Euphoria at getting a tax refund, which lasts until you realize it was your money to start with.
4. Reintarnation : Coming back to life as a hillbilly.
5. Bozone : The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.
6. Foreploy : Any misrepresentation about yourself for the purpose of getting laid.
7. Giraffiti : Vandalism spray-painted very, very high
8. Sarchasm : The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn’t get it.
9. Inoculatte : To take coffee intravenously when you are running late.
10. Osteopornosis : A degenerate disease.
11. Karmageddon : It’s like, when everybody is sending off all these really bad vibes, right? And then, like, the Earth explodes and it’s like, a serious bummer.
12. Decafalon: The grueling event of getting through the day consuming only things that are good for you.
13. Glibido : All talk and no action.
14. Dopeler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.
15. Arachnoleptic Fit : The frantic dance performed just after you’ve accidentally walked through a spider web.
16. Beelzebug : Satan in the form of a mosquito, that gets into your bedroom at three in the morning and cannot be cast out.
17. Caterpallor : The color you turn after finding half a worm in the fruit you’re eating.
Remember to add your WORD to the comment section of ODD--If you don’t enter-well you don’t enter but you won’t win either-Really.
On your mark. Get set. WORD!!!
Thanks for dropping by Odd!