~★~♥~♥~★~ El Morno! ♥~★~★~♥ ~
★~ Today’s Quote: “Be yourself is the worst advice you can give to some people.” Tom Masson
★~ Dog Biscuit Day:
Canines have enjoyed treats for centuries, although earlier versions were quite a bit different than today’s variety. Dog treats used to include stale, moldy bread, rotting leftovers and rock-hard biscuits made out of grain. Pretty “ruff”, right? But American James Spratt changed all that on a trip to England in the mid-1800s when he saw hungry, stray dogs scavenging for leftover food. It wasn’t long before he developed a cake-like biscuit comprised of meat, grains and vegetables called “Meat Fibrine Dog Cakes” and the rest, as they say, is history. Then in 1908, the F. H. Bennett Biscuit Co. of New York developed hard-baked, bone-shaped biscuits comprised of various minerals, cow’s milk and meat products, the Milk-Bone.
Here are a few recipes if you want to whip up some of Dog Biscuits.
- Easy Bake Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits – This recipe calls for whole wheat and white flour, peanut butter and vegetable oil.
- Homemade Dog Biscuits – This recipe calls for whole wheat flour, rolled oats, shredded cheese, unsweetened apple sauce and 3 eggs.
- Peanut Butter Dog Treats – This recipe calls for flour, oatmeal, wheat germ, crunchy peanut butter, honey, baking powder and vegetable oil.
- Cluck-a-Doodle-Doggie Treats – This recipe includes flour, cornmeal, an egg, chicken broth, vegetable oil, parsley and cooked chicken livers.
- Dog Cookies with Salmon Oil – You’ll need whole wheat flour, cheddar and cottage cheese, green beans, an apple, chicken broth, salmon oil and salmon for these cookies.
- Canine Chef’s Oven Baked Dog Kibble – If you are concerned about wheat, corn or soy, you’ll love this recipe. You’ll need oat flour, rolled oats, bone meal, brown rice, eggs and pearl barley, millet, quinoa or split peas.
- Homemade Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits with Soy Milk – You’ll need whole wheat fl our, rolled oats, baking powder, soy milk, honey and peanut butter for this one.
- Homemade Doggy Biscuits – This recipe calls for whole wheat and unbleached white flour, peanut butter and vegetable oil.
- Veggie Thins Dog Biscuit Treats – You’ll need flour, dry milk powder, vegetable cube, brown sugar, carrots, safflower oil and an egg or egg substitute.
- 3 Cheese Dog Biscuits – This recipe calls for all-purpose flour, one egg, evaporated milk, parmesan, romano and cheddar cheese.
★~ Banana Nut Bread Day:
Bananas arrived in the United States in the 1870s and quickly became one of the most popular fruits on the market. It wasn’t long before they started to appear in dessert recipes as the star ingredient. The first cookbooks that mentioned banana bread were published during the Great Depression. Culinary historians believe that a resourceful housewife who did not want to throw away over-ripe bananas may have invented the original recipe.
★~ Today in History:
♥~ 1886 – Charles M. Hall completed his invention of aluminum. Thank god, how would we manage Thanksgiving if we did not have aluminum foil?
♥~ 1937 – Bing Crosby sang with Lani McIntyre and His Hawaiians, as Sweet Leilani was recorded on Decca Records. The Academy Award-winning song was featured in the movie Waikiki Wedding.
♥~ 1963 – The Chiffons recording of He’s So Fine was released. It rose to the #1 position on March 30th for a four-week stay. The song later became the center of one of the most publicized lawsuits in music history. The estate of songwriter Ronnie Marks won the suit against former Beatle George Harrison, saying that the song My Sweet Lord, was a note-for-note copy of He’s So Fine. The Chiffons also scored big with One Fine Day, Sweet Talkin’ Guy and others.
♥~ 1940 – Peter Fonda director, actor: Easy Rider, Futureworld, The Wild Angel’s, Love and a .45
♥~ 1943 – Fred Biletnikoff, Pro Football Hall of Famer [wide receiver]: Oakland Raiders wide receiver: Super Bowl II, XI
♥~ 1944 – Johnny Winter (John Dawson III) musician: Still Alive and Well, Second Winter
♥~ 1951 – Patricia Richardson actress: Out of Omaha, Candy Paint, Blonde, Ulee’s Gold, Parent Trap III, Yuri Nosenko, KGB
♥~ 1954 – Howard Jones,Rock singer
♥~ 1965 – Kristin Davis – Actress, Sex and the City
♥~ 1983 – Emily Blunt is a British actress best known for her roles in The Young Victoria and The Devil Wears Prada.
★~ Did You Know: Odds & Ends I found while cruising the Internet this week.
♥~ 53 Terrible Jokes Told in 4 Minutes by Hank Green.
♥~ Goats Yelling Like Humans – Super Cut Compilation (FYI: I know longer want a goat)
♥~ “You came to the wrong neighborhood, human.” (I was laughing while thinking there needs to be a sign posted, “DON’T RUN.”)
♥~ Yawns (Bet you can’t keep from yawning)
♥~ What Does 200 Calories Look Like? (Powerful. Be sure to click on the thumbnail images after the page loads)
♥~ The only reason I am posting this next video is because some of you may have pups that might, at times, bring tears to your eyes or force you to leave the room….this only goes to show it could be MUCH worse.
Speaking of bananas, in case you missed or forgot the segue it is banana nut bread day, I have a pup that is camping with us and because of his digestive issues the only treat he can have is bananas and he LOVES them. This is a first for me. I’ve had campers dine on whole raw rock cornish game hens (from the grocery store – thank goodness), blueberries, rice cakes, pretzels, organic broccoli, tofu along with the more common apples, carrots, and green beans but I have never had a camper snack on bananas. I tried to give my pups a piece of banana but they were not impressed. They do love bacon, tho.
Does your pup eat bananas? Just curious. Aren’t you?
Have a super Saturday!
Odd Loves Company!