~★~♥~♥~★~ El Morno! ♥~★~★~♥ ~
September 13, 2014
★~ Today’s Quote: “I wish this glass had peanuts in it.” – inventor of peanut brittle
★~ Peanut Day:
Found a peanut, found a peanut, found a peanut just now. Just now I found a peanut, found a peanut just now. One must sing this song on National Peanut Day. All together now… (it’s a yearly tradition, doncha know!)
★~ Fortune Cookie Day:
Some 3 billion fortune cookies are made each year, almost all in the United States. But the crisp cookies wrapped around enigmatic sayings have spread around the world. They are served in Chinese restaurants in Britain, Mexico, Italy, France and elsewhere. In India, they taste more like butter cookies. A surprisingly high number of winning tickets in Brazil’s national lottery in 2004 were traced to lucky numbers from fortune cookies distributed by a Chinese restaurant chain called Chinatown.
But there is one place where fortune cookies are conspicuously absent: China.
Now a researcher in Japan believes she can explain the disconnect, which has long perplexed American tourists in China. Fortune cookies, Yasuko Nakamachi says, are almost certainly originally from Japan. Click to read more….
★~ Today in History:
♥~ 1954 – The cover of LIFE magazine was adorned with Judy Garland’s picture, with the caption, “Judy Garland takes off after an Oscar.” Garland had been nominated for her role in A Star is Born.
♥~ 1963 – Mary Kay, the direct-sales cosmetic company, was founded by nine people gathered around Mary Kay Ash’s kitchen table.
♥~ 1997 – Mariah Carey’s Honey debuted on the Hot 100 at number one — her third single to do so. The others wereFantasy (Sep 30, 1995) and One Sweet Day (Dec 2, 1995). Carey was the first artist to have three singles debut at #1.
♥~ 1944 – Jacqueline Bisset actress: Rich and Famous, The Deep, Airport, Bullitt, Wild Orchid, Murder on the Orient Express, Choices
♥~ 1952 – Randy Jones singer: group: The Village People: Y.M.C.A.
★~ Weekly Gallimaufry:
(In case of accident bring Cheese and Crackers. Lots of Cheese and Crackers)
– CBS sportscaster James Brown delivers powerful commentary on Ray Rice
– Here’s how you make a Classic French Apple Tart. (I might try this, I have afterall become a master of fried donuts*. )
– So cool: A Glass Pot.
– 101 years after the first box of Crayola rolled off the factory line, Wired looks at how the iconic crayons are made.
-The definition of CHUTZPAH: When it is discovered that you are the person most responsible for distributing the nude celebrity pictures (not responsible for the hack) you whine that your privacy is being invade.
– Tripp and Tyler Share a Clever Collection of Life Hacks to Make Life Easier
– Why Starbucks Spells Your Name Wrong – So good to finally know the truth. (warning profanity)
This is a large-scale demonstration of the interaction between period and pendulum length, using 16 bowling balls hung from a wooden frame.
– Update: More than 17 million videos related to the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge were uploaded to Facebook between June 1 and Sept. 1, and they were viewed more than 10 billion times by more than 440 million users. I’d call that success when you pair it with $112 million dollars raised. FYI several organizations that are working towards making sure everyone has access to the clean drinking water fund raising dollars also went up —Charity – water overachieved their August goal.
This weeks cool fall weather prompted me to make donuts*. I’m not sure why since I’ve never made donuts, in my whole life. My donut making has gone from gone from good, to better and I won’t let it rest until my donuts are the best, maybe not world wide, but among friends. Good friends. One of the issues is that my deep fryer blows electrical fuses if I operate any other appliance, or have the nerve to open the fridge door. This creates the challenge of having to deep fry at temps that range from lukewarm to scalding hot. However, this is just a small challenge that a want-a-be master donut maker has to conquer. I shall overcome. A larger challenge was when I realized too late that someone had mixed the flour and the sugar in the same canister. It worked out ok, I’m filing those donuts under best effort.
Odd Loves Company!